Construction: Gold Plated stainless steel
Dimensions: 18' x 11' feet
Artist: Harry Bertoia
Location: Milton R. Abrahams Branch
A giant dandelion is growing in the west lobby of the Milton R. Abrahams branch! Harry Bertoia's sculpture
entitled, "Sunburst," created in 1963 of gold-plated stainless steel, was constructed to
create this circular effect.
The sculpture was originally made for the Edward Durrell Stone Building in Los Angeles. The sea air
and salt water proved harmful and an indoor location was needed.
The Joslyn Art museum acquired the piece in 1972. It was relocated to Abrahams Branch when the museum's
fountain court was remodeled. The atrium at the new library was designed specifically for "Sunburst."
Harry Bertoia was born in San Lorenzo, Italy, in 1915, and immigrated to the United States in 1930.
By the 1950's he had emerged as a premier architectural sculptor.
Copper or bronze were his metals of choice. He was fascinated by the principles of sound waves and
music and their relationship to architectural sculpture. Many of Bertoia's pieces are owned by regional
museums and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. "Sunburst" is an example of Bertoia's
(L. Sullivan, September 2005)